Identifying Your Skill Set
Here are some resources to help you identify your skills, talents and interests so you can find a career that truly fits you!
- Name That Career Activity (updated 6/2012)
- Career Fair Professions Labels
- “Where Does It Come From” Activity (updated 6/2012)
Workforce Readiness: Get in the Act! National 4-H Curriculum
The national 4-H Workforce Readiness: Get in the Act! curriculum is different from many traditional career planning tools that focus on résumés and interviewing. Get in the Act! activities help middle schoolers look at personal qualities, teamwork and critical thinking skills as they prepare for the world of work. The curriculum includes a fun, interactive, two-part CD. Part 1, “Exploring Your True Colors,” helps young people learn their personality type to identify potential jobs to consider. Part 2, “On the Job Choices,” illustrates common workplace challenges young people experience. Find out more about Workforce Readiness: Get in the Act! here:
- Get in the Act! price and ordering information
- Get in the Act! promotional flyer
- Get in the Act! PowerPoint presentation
WOW! Wild Over Work Curriculum
- WOW! Wild Over Work PowerPoint Presentation
- WOW! Wild Over Work Career Education Handout
- WOW! Helper’s Guide curriculum
- WOW! Theme 1: Work Around Me curriculum
- WOW! Theme 2: Work in My Community curriculum
- WOW! Theme 3: Work Around the World curriculum
- WOW! Theme 4: Work in My Future curriculum
Job application forms are used to help managers spot your strengths and weaknesses. Below are links to a handout with tips on how to successfully complete a job application form and also to a sample job application form you can practice filling out.
Pre-college programs offer young people a wonderful opportunity to briefly explore a particular career or academic area to see if it’s worth a closer look. The point is to provide exposure to a broad area and show the many career possibilities related to a particular field.
- MSU Spartan Youth Programs Michigan State University Spartan Youth Programs offers more than 100 programs and activities for kids from preschool through high school. Come and join in the FUN!
- 4-H Capitol Experience
This program explores civic engagement and public policy in Lansing. You’ll discover a citizen’s role in the state government, network with other students, explore new careers and much more!
- 4-H Exploration Days
This program gives young people a chance to experience college life, learn new ideas and skills, and meet people from across Michigan.
- 4-H Great Lakes & Natural Resources Camp
This program teaches youth about Michigan’s diverse natural resources and the Great Lakes ecosystems.
- 4-H Discovery Camp
This program will explore ideas, research and opportunities in the field of energy as it relates to natural resources and agriculture.